Either of these markets:
- San Francisco, CA
- Salt Lake City, UT
Dwelo is bringing home automation to apartment communities. Our software, hardware, and service platform enables the owners and managers of multifamily properties to offer smart homes as an amenity to their residents while simultaneously improving the efficiency of their operations. Dwelo smart apartments are live in over a dozen markets and counting. We are a small team making a lot happen, we are the leaders in this space while taking on some big names, and we are on track for a billion dollar outcome.
ENGINEERING AT DWELO
At Dwelo, software engineers work on the entire product. You will have the chance work on the tooling to manage thousands of devices deployed to the field, work on the security infrastructure for our in-home and in-community device controllers, and build out and refine our continuous integration and deployment pipeline. We believe in infrastructure as code, designing for reliability first, followed shortly by scalibility.
HOW YOU'LL RAMP
- First week: You’ll have your Dwelo equipment and see the whole system working from end to end. You’ll take a tour of our cloud and administrative system and start tackling improvements to our build/deployment process.
- First month: You'll be making substantial improvements to the internal tooling for managing our device fleet. You will be participating in cloud architecture discussions and making design recommendations.
- After a couple of months: You'll have established a smooth continuous integration, deployment and release process. Your contributions to our tooling will be making us all excited about our system stability, quality, and increased development productivity.
- And beyond?: You will help us build a public key infrastructure to know, without a doubt, that every device and client is authenticated at all times, and allow us to revoke or modify privileges at any moment. You will work us to build out our data warehouse and event bus. You'll design with the team means to easily bring online new microservices with features like service discovery and distributed tracing.
- You have worked in a cloud environment like AWS, while knowing its core products (EC2, ECS/Fargate, RDS, VPC networking)
- You understand containers, deployment patterns, and service discovery patterns in a microservice environment
- You have a deep understanding of modern CI/CD workflows
- You have experience tuning and working with at least one relational DB
RECENT ENGINEERING PROJECTS
- We added cellular connectivity to all of our in-home gateways.
- Started integrating with metering solutions to surface data to residents and managers, while notifying them of leaks.
- Rebuilt our sensor data and command channel infrastructure with Twilio to provide seamless state synchronization across our mobile apps, our cloud, and our tens of thousands of devices.
- Created our sensor data pipeline and data warehouse on AWS, to store and analyze the ever widening firehose of data we receive from all of our devices.
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
Learning how we are going to work together on a team to build and deploy software quickly and often is far more insightful to us than algorithmic acrobatics on a whiteboard. We’ll start with a call about your professional history, what you have built lately, and what you’re looking to get out of future jobs. A follow up interview will involve a technical discussion about some realistic problems we are trying to solve, and how you might approach them. The next step is a well-scoped take-home design challenge. Lastly, you’ll spend some time with our CEO, potentially playing a board game, going for a hike or doing some other kind of casual activity so you get a chance to learn more about our business and ask any additional questions.
If interested, email your resume and any additional comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.