Senior Software Engineer
Either of these markets:
- San Francisco, CA
- Salt Lake City, UT
Dwelo is bringing home automation to apartment communities. Our software, hardware, and service platform enables the owners and managers of multifamily properties to offer smart homes as an amenity to their residents while simultaneously improving the efficiency of their operations. Dwelo smart apartments are live in over a dozen markets and counting. We are a small team making a lot happen, we are the leaders in this space while taking on some big names, and we are on track for a billion dollar outcome.
Engineering at Dwelo
At Dwelo, software engineers work on the entire product. You will have the chance to build our cloud infrastructure which manages thousands of devices and customers, work on our in-home and in-community device controllers, and improve our web, iOS and Android applications. You’ll be responsible for designing and writing code for new features, enabling new devices, and gaining new insights from our vast (and ever growing) trove of data. You’ll ship early, ship often, and ship continually.
How you'll ramp
- First week: You’ll have your Dwelo equipment and see the whole system working from end to end. You’ll take a tour of our system and start tackling a sizeable feature while participating in code reviews and architecture discussions.
- First month: You’ll be deploying services and code regularly, while working with other engineers on designing new infrastructure.
- After 6 months: You’ll be owning a large component of our system, nourishing it to handle our ever increasing scale.
What you’ve accomplished
- You’ve written code in multiple languages. You have opinions about what languages and design patterns are useful in certain situations.
- You’ve worked in a distributed systems environment. You know how to make multiple processes talk to each other, sometimes across a unstable and chaotic network.
- You love data, and you know how to take care of it. You’re familiar with different data stores, and you have an idea about when and how they should be used.
- You’ve shipped product as a part of a team, from start to finish. You collaborate on system design, code, and deployments.
Recent engineering projects
- We added cellular connectivity to all of our in-home gateways.
- Started integrating with metering solutions to surface data to residents and managers, while notifying them of leaks.
- Rebuilt our sensor data and command channel infrastructure with Twilio to provide seamless state synchronization across our mobile apps, our cloud, and our tens of thousands of devices.
- Created our sensor data pipeline and data warehouse on AWS, to store and analyze the ever widening firehose of data we receive from all of our devices.
Our interview process
Learning how we are going to work together on a team to build and deploy software quickly and often is far more insightful to us than algorithmic acrobatics on a whiteboard. We’ll start with a call about your professional history, what you have built lately, and what you’re looking to get out of future jobs. A follow up interview will involve a technical discussion about some realistic problems we are trying to solve, and how you might approach them. The next step is a well-scoped take-home coding challenge. Lastly, you’ll spend some time with our CEO, potentially playing a board game, going for a hike or doing some other kind of casual activity so you get a chance to learn more about our business and ask any additional questions.
If interested, email your resume and any additional comments to email@example.com.